Friday 15 January 2010

Have you ever upgraded Firmware on your SLR camera?

I have a Canon DSLR and I am considering updating the firmware on it.
Also does updating the firmware void the original manufacturer's warranty?

I've updated the firmware on a couple of cameras with no problems. You do have to remember that while it won't void the hardware warranty (provided it's an official firmware), they may charge you a fee if the flash is unsuccessful.

Answer by Crim Liar on 09 Jan 2010 03:47:54

Just make sure that when you upgrade you follow all the instructions carefully by the manufacturer. If you strictly follow it you should be OK. The process does not take much time (at least it did not in my case. Since I have been using Nikon gear since early 90's I cannot guide you about your Canon.

Answer by globulin on 09 Jan 2010 05:01:56

I have several Canon DSLRs and have upgraded the firmware on all of them. Firmware updates would not void the warranty. You should always keep your firmware up to date since they often fix problems with the camera.

Answer by David on 09 Jan 2010 05:42:55

Updating the firmware is expected of you by the camera manufacturers. If you report a fault with your Canon, they will ask if you're running the latest firmware almost before asking anything else. It will not void your warranty.

Follow the instructions to the letter and do it. You can hold your breath during the update if you think it will help...I did the first time I did it!

Answer by Mick on 09 Jan 2010 07:10:13
Best Answer

Upgrading the firmware of a Canon camera through the Canon website using their support system on a legally registered and warranted product should not void at all.

I have upgraded firmware on my older Canon G-Series, and while the instructions I received from Canon was very clear, it was both time consuming and not real easy.

It took 3 tries for the upgrade to finally take, and the end result was not much of an improvement at all.
While it did improve the camera performance, I really wished I had left it alone.

With a DSLR, I might be more prone to go ahead with the upgrade, depending on how much it would improve camera performance.

Good Luck

Dean

Answer by causant on 11 Jan 2010 07:33:05

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment