Friday 15 January 2010

Suggestions for SLR film camera?

I need a 35mm film SLR camera for a photography class I'm in. It needs to have manual settings for the shutter speed and lens opening. It must have these manual settings b/c they are required for the class. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Best Answer

I am a photo professor and I often advise students on what is needed. My guess is that your course will involving shooting 35mm film, processing it, and making prints from the negative.

You have 2 basic options:

1. A Manual Focus SLR camera which most likely will cost less. I suggest the Pentax K-1000 camera for a good soild basic camera to learn with. Also here are just a few other basic brands and models that will work that are manual focus:

Canon: A-1, AE-1, AE-1 Program, T-70
Nikon: FM, FM2, FE, FE2, FA, FM10,
Pentax: K1000, ME Super
Milnolta: X-370, X-570, X-700, XG-M

2. An auto focus based SLR camera, these camera will still allow for manual control of the aperture and shutter speed but have the added feature of auto focus ability. I would stick with Nikon or Canon here. Here are a few models to consider:

Nikon: N55, N65, N70, N80, N8008, N8008s
Canon: EOS Rebel X, EOS Rebel K2, EOS Rebel G, EOS Rebel 2000, EOS Elan

You can find some great used deals, possibly craigslist or ebay but below I added a link to KEH Camera who sells used cameras so you have that option also. I also included 2 other links to websites that are good resources. Freestyle is excellent for getting film and print paper and many other things.

Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail if you think I can be of help.

Mark

marksablow.com

Answer by Mark on 14 Jan 2010 05:46:07

Nikon FM2 [URL Truncated]

Taken with it [URL Truncated]

Answer by Pooky on 14 Jan 2010 07:14:57

I suggest you get a semi-automatic, instead of a full manual SLR. Your concern would be a working light meter. You would learn faster if you have an accurate light meter to help you out. Since I'm a Pentaxian, I recommend the Pentax LX, MX, or K1000.

Answer by keerok on 14 Jan 2010 11:45:24

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment