Friday 15 January 2010

What is the best point and shoot digital camera?

Canon Powershot SD1200, Sony Cybershot W290 or the Nikon Coolpix S230?

I'm looking for the camera with the best image/picture quality!!

I won't answer your question directly, but I'll give you a bunch of pointers that will help you decide:

Point & Shoot cameras are wonderfully handy because of their small size.
When light conditions are ideal, they even take really nice photos - all of them do.

However, they all DO have limitations - they don't do very well in low light situations (i.e. noisy photos, hard to avoid blur, etc). The little onboard flash is very harsh at close range, and doesn't reach very far.
Many of them have no manual functions, so you are limited to only very basic photos, you can't compensate for unusual situations, or do many fun "tricks" and special effects.
P&S's also suffer from frustrating shutterlag and many of them chew through batteries rather quickly.

If you're ok with all those limitations, then go ahead and pick one, most of them (the same type and same price range) are rather similar. Personally I would pick either a Canon or a Nikon, and would certainly stay away from Kodak.

A higher end P&S will give you more manual options and better quality. Many of those even give you the option of adding a proper flash (which makes a big difference to your flash photos).

Don't worry too much about megapixels - all modern cameras have plenty enough, plus there is a limit to how many pixels you can squash into a tiny P&S sensor before you actually LOSE quality rather than gain it.
Don't worry about digital zoom, in fact, don't EVER use it. It simply crops away pixels, i.e. destroys information. The only real zoom is optical.


Some words about special effect features such as color accent, or even just b/w or sepia:
About applying any sort of effect in camera: DON'T DO IT !
Imagine if you just happen to take the best photo you ever took - surely you would want to have it in all its glory, right?
Always set your camera to biggest size, best quality (and to color).
That way, you start with the best possible photo as your original.
Then you make a copy and edit it to your heart's content.
You have much better control over any editing on your computer, even something as simple as b&w will look MUCH better when it was processed properly instead of in camera.
You can do all sorts of things to it PLUS you get to keep your original.


Decide which features are important to you, and look for cameras that have that feature.
Then go compare a few models on [URL Truncated] .

The very best thing you can do for your success is to borrow some books and learn about photography. A bit of knowledge will make a much bigger difference to your photos than your choice of P&S camera can.

For what it's worth - if I was in the market for a P&S camera right now, my choice would be a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS [URL Truncated]

Answer by selina_555 on 13 Jan 2010 11:40:01

Probably the best compact camera for image quality is the Canon G11. It is a bit chunky for a compact. The best compact compact is probably the Canon S90.

Answer by thankyoumaskedman on 14 Jan 2010 12:56:31

tbh, i would go for the samsung one with dual screens, that seems brill, plus has dual image stabilization

Answer by Cristian on 14 Jan 2010 01:10:04

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T90 12.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom and Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization
[URL Truncated]

Review: I've had this camera since Tuesday and it's Friday and I'm still amazed. I've spent hours trying to learn my way around the menu, taking pictures, recording videos. I previously owned the Sony W150, but I upgraded for something much smaller. I've used the Panasonic Lumix and I've tried different Canon cameras, but the T90 takes the cake. This camera is sleek! The black casing is sexy :). I've tried all the Rec modes, except landscape. I still need to try the 6 scene selection modes. Overall, The photos are beautiful. The intelligent scene recognition mode is truly amazing. I tried to simulate several scenes in my living room/ kitchen with the windows open or closed, lights on or off. The camera was able to clearly identify the scene, backlight, or even when I simply desired to take a macro shot of my fingers to see all the wrinkles(unbelievable what scene recognition does)! As of now, I am happy and I have no regrets with my purchase. The battery does not last as long as my Sony W150, but it's good enough. I also picked up the Sony infolithium battery on here for like $38 (bought it through Amazon for peace of mind). I also purchased the 8gb MS Pro Duo Mark2 through Amazon for $44. Best Buy is selling the 8gb Mark 2 for $39.99 on sale right now until 5/2 (I wish I purchased it through BB, but it's only five dollars so whatever). I also purchased my camera through Best Buy for $299.99 plus tax (If only I would have checked Amazon's pricing before buying). Well despite all of that, the camera is absolutely wonderful. The honeymoon phase is going great and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Hopefully, months from now I'm still happy with this camera.

other option

Canon PowerShot SD780IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD
[URL Truncated]

Review:After researching ultra-compact cameras for 2 weeks, I had narrowed down my choices to this camera, the Canon SD880 IS and a couple of models from other manufacturers (though I knew in the end I'd choose a Canon). As with most electronic purchases I make, it was an agonizing process. Every camera had a feature that I wanted, yet none of them had everything that I wanted. I would have liked a bit more zoom, and other cameras have wider lenses. In the end, the three features that won me over were the amazingly small size, the ability to capture HD video at a resolution of 720p, and the HDMI out.

As for the performance, I couldn't be happier. Many of the reviews I read before purchasing mentioned a high amount of noise, but in my experience it only occurs at higher ISO's, is not very noticeable, and seems to be in line with other compact cameras that I've used, no more, no less. I would NOT let this be a determining factor if I were considering this camera.

This is my first camera with image stabilization and it's works very well. On a recent trip I took over 500 pictures (and filled up less than 1/4th of my 8-gig card at the highest resolution), and not one of them ended up blurry. The AUTO feature has also proven to be much better than I had anticipated: it changes between 18 settings automatically, such as macro, bright sunshine, etc., and so far, it's been right on the money. Another complaint that I've read is that viewfinder is useless. While it is quite tiny, I have actually used it, and I find it to be quite serviceable. At some point, a camera gets so small that it's difficult to squeeze everything onto its surface area. Kudos to Canon for even including the optical viewfinder at all.

My complaints are few, and none would be a dealbreaker for me. The small size and smooth, symmetrical shape sometimes make it hard to tell which side I am holding onto when I take it out of my pocket. When attempting to push the power button, I will often realize I am pushing on the bottom of the camera. I have to actually look at it to tell what I am doing. Also, as stated previously, the HD video takes a pretty beefy CPU to play back smoothly. My PC is 4 years old and has a hard time keeping up. The easy solution to this is to play back directly to the monitor/TV with an HDMI cable. It seemed improbable to me that a video made with a camera this small would look good on a 55" HD television. I was stunned at how sharp it looked.

The bottom line is that anybody looking for an ultra-compact camera is going to be extremely satisfied with this one. It doesn't take the pictures that a Digital SLR is going to, nor does it have the same features. But anybody looking at this camera realizes that already. I went to an arts festival last weekend and was AMAZED at how many people are lugging around DSLR's these days. It seemed like every other person had one. When looking at performance vs. convenience and portability, I'll take the SD780 any day.

Answer by Angel on 14 Jan 2010 04:00:48

I bought Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 mainly because I seriously HATE not being able to take non-blurry photos at concerts. So far, I have only taken it to an outdoor amphitheater concert (i assume indoor concerts would be even harder to take?) where it performed beautifully. everyone who has seen the pictures have thought that I had great seats. not really. i was up in the stands but with the zoom on this baby, it seemed like i was much closer! the guy next to me asked me about the camera because he was impressed. look, bottom line, this is cutting edge stuff, and it's going to be worth the $400. stabilization is awesome for those concerned about that when zooming (even with optical only, i had doubts). but no more!
the HD video is also pretty awesome. compared to my past concert footage, wow..night and day..
LASTLY, i would like to say, "?!?" to everyone who has complained about the lack of manual controls. i was almost going to pass up on this camera because ppl were discussing this 'deficiency' profusely. but umm..no? this camera lets you manually control everything from EV to shutter speed to WB. granted, some features like high ISO will lock up the use of other controls, but i had no issues with that.
i got great concert photos with 2MB pix (i was running out of space).
i almost want to say 'overall', but i think 'through and through' is more apropos. this camera is worth the buy!

Answer by Impossible on 14 Jan 2010 08:45:34
Best Answer

i would recommend you buying a Canon PowerShot SD1200IS
3x optical zoom; 2.5-inch PureColor LCD II screen
DIGIC 4 Image Processor with evolved Face Detection Technology; Face Detection Self-timer
Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings
[URL Truncated]

Answer by niks on 14 Jan 2010 12:44:20

Hey! if your looking for a great camera i found this site that will help you narrow your search. i am in college an love taking my photo class... anyway below there's a link that might help

[URL Truncated]

Answer by Brian W on 14 Jan 2010 02:24:57

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment